Tuesday, 17 November 2015

Hairbows...

This is just a quick advert for my partner's site. She makes the most delightful hairbows. Her online shop is full of them:


She's also got a "market night" coming up on Facebook. Click here to get the details and join in! 



D.

Tuesday, 22 October 2013

That's all, folks...

Well, it was fun while it lasted but a change in direction means that we are no longer making and selling motifs. Rather, our hair bow project has really taken off and all our time is spent supporting that. That also means that our collection of PE150s, etc, has been retired. I haven't quite decided what to do with them yet, or the collection of spare parts that I've built up over the years. But what this does all mean is that I've no more posts about the machines for this blog which I now intend to close. When I say 'close', I'll leave it in place for reference purposes - it still gets plenty of hits each month and I hope people find it helpful. I'll also be on hand to answer any PE150 related questions which come up (as they do from time to time), but otherwise, this is probably my last post on here. Since I do enjoy the occasional blog post, however, I'll be opening a brand new site which covers the various fixes and repairs I do to my other stuff. I've also given up smoking and started vaping and the mod bug has already started to bite. If I do anything worthwhile in that regard I'll be sure to post it on the new blog which can be found here:


So, take it easy and enjoy your embroidering.

Cheers

Dave


Thursday, 7 March 2013

Don't worry....

... about the new footers on each post. I was told that plenty of links to my external sites would help them in Google's search rankings. Accordingly....



More soon, no doubt... D

Wednesday, 6 February 2013

A bit of crazy on the side...

I suppose the point must eventually come where one takes a step back from one's spare parts pile and wonders whether it will ever actually get used! I'm not quite at that stage yet but a like-minded friend of mine has hit upon a way of making space and creating something that is interesting and fun at the same time. You'll see what I mean from the pictures below :)






 
 
 
 
More soon, no doubt...
 
 
D
 


Monday, 7 January 2013

PE150 Main Power Board Fix (in theory, at least...)

Since I've recently been asked about the fix that I've been promising for the last 18 months, I thought I'd share the theory. I have repaired one of my broken boards using the parts I've obtained however I've not tested it with a motor yet. For information, the repair requires the replacement of the:
  • optocoupler - TLP750
  • mosfet - FS3UM-9
  • transistor - 2SC1740
These three items are circled in yellow on the picture below. Depending on the extent of the damage, it may also be necessary to replace the diode and zener diode (circled in pink on the picture below). Since I had the board and soldering iron out, I also replaced the capacitors on the board. Finally, I tested that the soldering was good. As soon as I have a spare motor to risk sacrificing, I'll give the repair a test....


 
 
 More soon, no doubt.
 
D


Saturday, 1 December 2012

Wednesday, 21 November 2012

Motors...

In the Main board, power board and motor removal tutorial, you get to see the main motor used in the Brother PE150. This motor drives the needle mechanism and the spinning outer hook in the base of the machine. There are, however, two more motors in this machine. These two motors control the X/Y movement of the frame holder. These pictures, which are of one of the machines in my spares pile, show the size and location of the X and Y motors, and the gearing they are attached to:




For the record, I've never had one of these motors fail. I expect that's because, all things considered, they don't actually do a great deal.

More soon, no doubt....

D